April 14-19, 2018
Giving Gold: The Art of Giving A Spiritual Talk
Faculty: Heather Lilleston
Location: TribecaClick here to register for this training
About This Program
Giving Gold is an exploration of public speaking, finding your authentic voice (no more “yoga voice”) and the tools to weave a spiritual theme accessibly into every element of a yoga class.
If there is one thing that can go really bad in a yoga class, it’s the spiritual teaching. If there is one thing that can be the most special thing about a yoga class, it’s the spiritual teaching.
During this week we will explore the art of public speaking through the form of teaching yoga and mostly as it relates to weaving a spiritual theme into every element of a class with authenticity and accessibility. We will look at the tools necessary to communicate to a wide audience with clarity, precision and gentleness, welcoming all minds into a conversation exploring tangible yet elevated material, while connecting the dots of the mind to the physical body, playlist, sequence and more.
- Spiritual Teachings: 3 to 5 minute suggested gold nuggets to inspire and kick-start the class
- Weaving the Theme: Linking your golden nugget throughout class and relating it to the sequence, alignment cues, and playlist
- Short led body-scan meditations to prepare for physical alignment cues related to the focus of class
- Verbs and vocabulary good for teaching yoga and expanding your use of languaging
- Tools to explain tough concepts
- The do’s and don’ts of telling stories about yourself: how it is useful & how it can be unnecessary
- Deciphering your point into ONE sentence
- Power of repetition and simplicity
- Relating what we do on the mat to outside the classroom. Why is this relevant to talk about?
- Talking to the most pessimistic person in the room
- Current affairs and politics in yoga. Out or in?
- Sussing out your own personal take on something ancient, poetic, and probably not to be tampered with
- Encouraging curiosity and inquisitiveness versus telling people what something is, or what truth is or isn’t
- The Art of Languaging: Intonation, breathwork, cadence, when to be silent, projecting, using the voice to make your point land the right way, and more.
Saturday & Saturday, April 14th & 15th: 10:00am-5:00pm (lunch break at 1pm)
Monday-Thursday, April 16-19th: 6:30-8:30pm
- How to Give a Ted Talk by Chris Anderson
- An Offering of Leaves by Ruth Lauer-Manenti
- Sweeping the Dust by Ruth Lauer-Manenti
- The Yoga Sutras
- The Bhagavad Gita
- The Untethered Soul by Michael Singer
- The Wisdom of No Escape by Pema Chodron
- The Power of Kindness by Piero Ferrucci
- The Tao de Ching translation by Stephen Mitchell
This training is open to anyone interested in refining their public speaking skills, their teaching skills (not necessarily yoga, though this will be the form through which we discuss many of the tools) as well as their general sincere communication skills. (For YA certified yoga teachers, this counts as 20 hours towards YA continuing education.)
Tuition for this program is $600 for registrations by March 10th, 2018. Thereafter the training will cost $900. If interested but financially limited, please contact Heather Lilleston as a few work study spots are available.
How to Apply
Registration for this training is a two-step process. Please click here to sign up for this program.